Monday, August 5, 2013

I Love You a Waffle Lot!

Hallo Snoep/Hallo Süßigkeiten/Bonbons Hello,

In other words, hello sweets!  Are you ready to take a trip across the pond (the North Atlantic Ocean that is)?  If you haven't already guessed, we're on our way to Belgium, courtesy of our imaginations :)  I did a little research on Belgium and discovered a few fun facts; 1) they have 3 official languages dutch, German, and french 2)  they're government is similar to the UK monarchy and 3) they're a very artistic culture.

Okay enough history :) I'm pretty sure y'all know what I made.  It's both good as breakfast or a dessert, with syrup or with whipped cream and strawberries.  If you guessed waffles you'd be correct and not just any old waffle, a buttermilk waffle.  Did you know they have five varying types of waffles in Belgium and Belgian waffles isn't one of them?  They can be soft or crispy, topped with confectioner's sugar or syrup, and some are even heart shaped with cherries on top (sounds like my kind of waffle).  So even though the recipe I'll be sharing today isn't from Belgium, that is where the idea was born and thus we give thanks.  Another fun fact about waffles, they've been around since medieval times (9th-10th century).  Although back then the waffle iron usually depicted Jesus and his crucifixion, that would make for an interesting breakfast.  I know I said no more history, but that was applicable to Belgium not waffles (sneaky sneaky) lol.  In the 14th-15th century waffles were made with wine (sign me up lol), from then on they continued to evolve and still do to this day.

About a year ago Nathans dad bought a waffle iron and we had waffles all the time, and then of course the fad died and it rarely was used.  Well Nathan and I had to be up early one morning, knowing Nathan is much less of a morning person than I am, I offered to make him waffles (that got a smile).  So I looked at different recipes, and then came across the cutest named blog, Smitten Kitten.  She creates comfort food that reminds you of home but with a dash of new and exciting, you should check it out there is lots to see and read (although probably best to look when you're not hungry).  Since I still had buttermilk leftover from Dave's Chocolate Cola Cake I decided that buttermilk will be the shining star.

Buttermilk Waffles (via Smitten Kitten)
Ingredients
2C all-purpose flour
1/2Tsp salt
2Tbs sugar
1 1/2Tsp baking soda
1 3/4C buttermilk
2 eggs, separated
4Tbs butter, melted and cooled
1/2Tsp vanilla
cooking spray for the waffle iron
 

Directions:
1)  Combine the dry ingredients.
  

2)  Mix together the buttermilk and egg yolks.  Stir in the butter and vanilla.

3)  Brush the waffle iron with your cooking spray and preheat it.  Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients.
 

4)  Beat the egg whites with the whisk until they hold soft peaks.  Stir them gently into the batter.
 

5)  Spread a ladle full or so of the batter onto the waffle iron and bake for 3-5 minutes.

 
yum!

These waffles are light and fluffy, but super filling, I could only eat about 3/4 of it before I was way too full.  This is now my go to waffle recipe for Nathan, because as with everything else once I find a good recipe I no longer use boxed mixes.  Nathan really liked them, he managed to eat a whole one faster than I could eat half of mine lol he's too cute.

Well I am almost out of past recipes to post, which is pretty much divine timing because soon I'll be back in Texas *happy dance* !!  That means I can make all sorts of goodies and there are plenty of happy mouths down to help devour them :)  Until next time.......................................................

Stay sweet,




Jennifer xoxoxoxo






No comments:

Post a Comment