Saturday, December 15, 2012

Give Me Some Sugar

Hello Sweets,

Happy Friday! Can you believe that in 11 days it will be Christmas?  Which means my kitchen isn't the only one going full steam.  What treats are all of you baking?  Maybe something sweet or maybe savory? Whatever you're making, I'm sure your loved ones are dying to get their hands on some.  I completely forgot to tell you guys the story of a cookie monster yesterday.  While waiting for the "reindeer" cookies to cool before decorating, Nathan's dad decided to munch on one while we were all watching a movie.  The only reason he got caught is because I was checking on my icing to ensure it wasn't hardening, and I'm pretty sure I scared the bejesus out of him with my reaction lol.  Then after they went to bed I started thinking my reaction was too strict, so once the cookies were hard and the antlers were set I left a surprise in his car since he had an early flight this morning.  Now he isn't back yet so I don't know his reaction, but I'm sure it put a smile on his face :)  ** UPDATE: he loved it, and it did make him smile very early this morning :)**

So yesterday I made the chocolate sugar cookies, well today I wanted to be more traditional (I think wrapping presents made me nostalgic) so I made the original sugar cookies.  This recipe is quite simple, very few ingredients and basic instructions, that makes it user friendly for even the beginner baker :)  I must warn you though, this recipe like any other sugar cookie recipe requires some time to set in the refrigerator before they can be put in the oven.  This is always the hardest part for me.  Yes it's true my patience could be better, but who wants to wait that much longer for delicious cookies?  But I will always take the time and wait because it is part of the reason they taste as good as they do :)  Let's get baking!

Traditional Sugar Cookies
Ingredients
1C butter, softened
1C granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 1/2Tsp vanilla extract
3C all-purpose flour
1 1/4Tsp baking powder

Directions:
1)  Beat together butter and sugar until light and fluffy.

2)  Add egg and vanilla, mix until just combined.





3)  Add flour and baking powder in intervals.  Dough will seem as if it doesn't have enough moisture but continue to mix with mixer until combined (it will come together when chilled).




4)  Divide the dough into four equal parts, shape into disks, wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate for about an hour or until firm.

5)  Preheat oven to 375F.  Lightly grease baking sheets or line with parchment paper or a non stick baking mat.

6)  Roll out dough between 2 sheets of waxed paper, about 1/4" thick for crisper cookies and 1/3" thick for softer cookies.  Cut out shapes with cookie cutters and place on prepared cookie sheets.  Bake for 7-8 minutes or until edges just start to turn a gold color.  For softer cookies, do not allow the cookies to take on color.



7)  Remove from oven, let cool for 1 minute then transfer to wire rack.  (if making a second batch right away, allow the cookie sheet to cool completely before placing raw dough on it)


8)  Decorate cookies with Royal Icing (click here!) or with a butter cream frosting and sprinkles (or whatever decorations you'd like).  Can be stored in freezer undecorated for up to 2 months.  Dough also freezes well.
Sorry these aren't all of them, it's been a looong night

These cookies may be simple to make but they smell and taste wonderful, and don't be alarmed with the dryness of the dough because it will come together when you roll the dough out.  This is just one of many sugar cookie recipes I will be trying and after I try them all I will determine which is the tastiest :)

I will continue working hard on making the cookies look professional, because that is a personal goal of mine :p  But for now I will enjoy eating the fruits of my labors, and making Nathan a super happy boyfriend :)  Until next time.........


Stay sweet,



Jennifer xoxoxo 

No comments:

Post a Comment