Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Save the Date....for Cake!!

Hello Sweets,

I am very happy and excited to say I've had a wonderful day :D  I was worrying about somethings, but today I found out that everything will be just peachy keen and therefore I'm a happy camper.  I should have just listened to Nathan because he kept reassuring me that everything would work out, he's usually right about the things that worry me (although let's keep that between you and I ;) ).  I still have an ear to ear smile from being relieved *cue happy dance*

When I was growing up my grandmother would sometimes make date squares around the holidays, then my mom and I made a HUGE batch from Christmas a few years back.  I was craving them a few weeks ago and I decided I wanted to give them a go, thus the research began.  I only had raisins in the house and since I'm on a budget I decided they would be just as good.  I came across a recipe that looked pretty tasty (but I can't remember where I got it), and knew it would be a big hit.  A big reason I love to bake is to provide my nephew with some yummy treats, and since raisins are one of his favorites I knew this would be a hit for his little tummy.  During my research I discovered that date squares are what some Canadians call it, to the rest of the world it's called matrimonial cake.  It's not cake like at all, and I personally would not want this for my wedding dessert lol.  Don't get me wrong it's tasty, but it will never replace an actual cake.

Matrimonial Cake (aka Date Squares)
Ingredients
filling;
1 1/2C raisins (or dates)
3/4C sugar
rind of 1 orange, grated
1 1/2C boiling water (of half OJ and half water)
top/bottom;
1C butter, softened
1 + 1/4C brown sugar
1 + 1/2C all purpose flour
1Tsp baking powder
1/2Tsp salt
1 + 1/2C rolled oats
 

Directions:
1)  Preheat oven to 325F.  Put the raisins (or dates), rind, sugar, and boiling water into a saucepan and gently cook until it becomes a jam-like consistency.
 

2)  In a mixing bowl; cream together the butter and sugar.  

 
I accidentally melted the butter :(

3)  Then add the rest of the dry ingredients, mixing until crumbly.
 

4)  Pat half of the oat mixture into the bottom of a buttered 9" square pan.  Spread the date mixture over the base, then cover with the remainder of the oat mixture.  Bake for 45 minutes.

These are soft and chewy, and not sweet at all but I find them very filling so a small piece should do just fine.  Miguel loved them so much that I ended up sending a second little batch over with my sister, I can't say no to his little dimples!  This was the first time I've made them with raisins and I actually prefer them this way, it's a milder flavor than the dates can be sometimes.  But I still say this is not a cake or a wedding cake!!!

For a change tomorrow I will be posting a recipe that is gluten and processed sugar free O_O  It's not something I would normally make for myself but I did a trade with my mother and that's what she requested.  I did try what I made and it wasn't bad, but alas I am a flour junkie so it just wasn't the same to me.  I've also been toying with the idea of making tiny fruit tarts, but not sure what or how yet just another thought rolling around in my big ol' brain lol.  Until next time.....................................


Stay sweet,



Jennifer xoxoxoxo








No comments:

Post a Comment