Monday, August 12, 2013

Feeling A Little Blue?

Hello Sweets,

I'm sure y'all noticed I was absent from the blogisphere yesterday, and I have some good reasons for it too.  The biggest and most debilitating issue was my shoulders, or the amount of pain I was experiencing from all the baking on Friday night (I just can't seem to pace myself).  The other reason, well frankly I've been feeling a little down.  No actually a lot, as you know I can't work or workout with my fun ailments.  I think probably the no working out part has been the hardest part, considering I work for the biggest fitness company in Canada, you could see how embarrassing that is for me :(  Luckily for me I have THE cutest and loving nephew of life, when I didn't answer my phone yesterday he (with the help of mommy) sent me a video saying "I love you auntie Jemmy and miss you and hope to see you before you leave for Texas".  Granted the Texas statement was a little much for him to say, but it made me smile when I needed it the most.  It picked my spirits up and now I'm trying to do more things to help myself instead of cuddling in bed, although I still like that part too lol.

However, that is not what today's post is about.  It's all about the blueberry filling I made for the tarts ;), see what I did there lol?  Do y'all love blueberries as much as I do?  I don't know why I love them so much, but I even made a blueberry milkshake a while back and yes it was delicious!  When I was little blueberry picking was interesting, and the only reason I say that is because you need to be fairly gently gentle when picking them.  As I'm sure you could guess children don't always have a gentle touch, which means you end up with more squished ones than whole lol.  None the less, I loved picking fruit as a child, and I hope to carry on the tradition with my children and even have my own little garden :)  The process for putting the tarts together is the same as before but click here for the tarts and here for the pastry if you need a quick refresher :)

Blueberry Pie Filling
Ingredients
 4C blueberries
3/4C sugar
3Tbs cornstarch
3Tbs water
1Tsp lemon rind, grated
1/2Tsp cinnamon
1/4Tsp nutmeg
2Tbs butter
 

Directions:
1)  Combine 1 cup of blueberries with the sugar in a saucepan.  Simmer on low hear until the sugar is melted and is very liquefied, about 5 minutes.  *I squished a few blueberries and added a very small amount of water, it looked as though I would have burnt the sugar otherwise*
 

2)  Combine cornstarch and water in a separate bowl.  Add to the blueberries in the pot.
 

3)  Cook over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil and is clear (not milky) and thick.
 

4)  Pour hot mixture into a bowl, cooling until warm.  Fold in remaining blueberries, lemon rind, cinnamon, nutmeg, and butter.
 

5)  Let cool before adding to pie crust (or on top of a cheesecake).
 
yummy!

Again, like the cherry mix, this is so much tastier than anything pre-made or canned.  It's not very sweet at all, and the cinnamon and nutmeg compliment the blueberries wonderfully.

I have now had six people try my little tarts of love, and I am happy that they've all enjoyed them very much :)  Nothing makes me happier (well almost nothing), then having people enjoy the food I make them.  A perfect example would be making dinner for my grandparents, even tonight when I made them dinner they were very satisfied with the meal.  My grandmother told me she was very proud of me and how I turned out, nothing makes a child happier :)  Until next time...........................................


Stay sweet,




Jennifer xoxoxoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment