Wednesday, November 14, 2012

A Paleo Play Date :)

Hello Sweets,

It's finally the middle of the week, which you guys are probably more excited for than I did since I'm off work, but none the less it's a good day :)  I hope all of you are having a great week, and if it has been a little stressful maybe a good sweat will help you reset your happy clock ;)

I am going to go to the gym today, normally I workout at home or in my grandparents gym, but I am meeting up with my old roommate Mikey!  I am really excited to see him again, its been about 2 years since we've seen each other, but more so because he is the reason I became a gym rat (of sorts lol), he encouraged me to workout when I had fallen down some stairs and was having a rough recovery.  Well that was four and a half years ago, before my illness knocked me on my butt, I worked out five to six days a week either on my own, in a class, or with a trainer.  I was at the gym so much that they offered me a job lol and I am not kidding either!  Working out at the gym for me was a great way to deal with stress, and ironically it made me a super happy person (I really like a good sweat), this has probably been one of the hardest parts to deal with because I cannot workout like I used to.

It is actually weird that we decided to meet up today, because today is the day I made the Paleo Blackberry Bars, and boy does my house smell delicious.  I figured I would surprise him with a post workout snack, that is not only healthy but tasty too :)  Since I got some amazing news last night, Nathan and I are going on vacation together, possibly next month, I want to try and be aware of what I am putting in my body on the chance we will be somewhere warm and sunny. Eeekkkk so exciting!!  But for now lets get down to the business of blackberries (almost seems like a half week theme doesn't it lol).

Paleo Blackberry Bars (via recipe grazer app for the iPhone)
Ingredients
1C coconut flour (shredded coconut blended into powder)
1/2C shredded coconut
1Tsp cinnamon
1Tsp baking powder
1/2Tsp baking soda
1/2Tsp salt
1/4C honey (or sugar, agave, maple syrup, or NuNaturals baking blend)
2 bananas (about 1C)
2 eggs
2Tbs coconut oil (may use olive oil)
1Tsp vanilla extract
1/2-1C almond milk
1C blackberries, fresh or frozen (can use any other berry as well)

Directions:
1)  Preheat oven to 350F.  Grease an 8"x8" baking pan and set aside.

2)  In a large bowl, mix together the coconut flour, shredded coconut, cinnamon, baking powder and soda, and salt.

3)  Add in the honey or sugar sub, if using, mix again.

4)  In the same bowl, add in the bananas, eggs, melted coconut oil, vanilla extract, and 1/4C almond milk.  Mix until all ingredients are incorporated, adding in more almond milk, as needed for mixing.  Amount of almond milk varies as coconut flour does soak up liquids quickly, and using more or less coconut flour or shredded coconut will change the absorption of liquids.  Add in enough almond milk so the batter is the consistency of cookie batter (but will probably be slightly drier).

5)  Fold in blackberries and spoon the batter into the greased pan.  Bake for 40 minutes or until the sides are golden.

6)  Remove from oven and cool completely.  Toothpick will come out clean, but the bars are moist because of the bananas and berries, so don't be alarmed.  Cut into about 16 squares, and of course ;) enjoy!!
It's very moist, so don't be alarmed :)

I can proudly say that we have had yet another kitchen success!!  And what really gets me excited about this recipe is that it's not only simple, but healthy too.  So in addition to my water and protein, I will be throwing a few of the bars in too :), one for me and one for my friend :)  I hope you all enjoy this recipe, and I hope it reaches people that really could use a healthier alternative for a snack (I know my roommate and I are happy to have a healthier option lol).  Do you have a favorite go to healthy snack choice?  I would love to hear any suggestions from you guys, or even what you think of my blog thus far :)  I promise that any feedback will be taken as constructive criticism.

Oh and before I go, here is my Frosty Fitness Challenge daily achievement :)  
3.24 miles = 6.88 miles for the week (11.07 km)

Remember you guys can join in too, just click the above link to get all the details :)  Until next time......


Stay sweet,



Jennifer xoxoxo




1 comment: