Monday, December 17, 2012

Things That Make You Go Huh?

Hello Sweets,

I hope you all had a relaxing Sunday.  Nathan and I had some Christmas shopping to wrap up (I also found one final package of reindeer!!), and then we had a family dinner to attend so it wasn't "relaxing" lol, actually more like hectic!

I can't even begin to describe how excited I was to find one last package of the reindeer decorations.  I had a feeling we would be lucky to find even just one, but I have decided to try and pipe some reindeer cookies in the near future :)  Of course I will do a post complete with pictures so I can share what I hope to be a success :)  Speaking of cookies, I have yet another sugar cookie recipe to share with you today, and this one has an ingredient that really had me perplexed.  What ingredient you ask?  Cream of tartar.  When I read that I didn't think it made much sense, the only tartar I know of is what people eat with english style fish and chips.  Of course I had to look it up to find out what the connection was to cookies, and the cream of tartar I found out gives the cookies a creamier texture.  I have never used it before so lets see if it makes a great cookie even better shall we?  Oh, and I thought it would be fun to share with you guys that I actually burnt out an electric mixer lol!  Apparently I pushed it past it's limits, so Nathan being the awesome boyfriend that he is went out and got me a tool grade one by Black & Decker :)  He's the bestest boyfriend EVER, check it out.
even has a snazzy tool case hehe

Sugar Cookies
Ingredients
1C butter, softened
1 1/2C powdered sugar
1 egg
1 Tsp vanilla extract
1/2Tsp almond extract
2 1/2C all-purpose flour
1 Tsp baking soda
1 Tsp cream of tartar
granulated sugar, for dusting

Directions:
1)  Mix together sugar and butter.

2)  Add egg, vanilla, and almond extract; mix well.
 

3)  Blend in flour, baking soda, and cream of tartar.  Cover and chill for 2-3 hours

4)  Preheat oven to 375F.  Divide the dough in half.  Roll each half 3/16" on lightly floured cloth-covered board.  Cut into desired shapes; sprinkle with granulated sugar.  Place on lightly greased cookie sheet.  Bake 7-8 minutes, or until light gold on the edges.

5)  Let cool completely, then decorate as desired and enjoy!  (Royal Icing Recipe)
 
Aren't they just the cutest!

Yet another fabulous sugar cookie recipe!  My favorite part of a sugar cookie is the soft centers :) and I really am enjoying watching my decorating skills grow.  I'm torn now, do I bake another sugar cookie recipe tomorrow or do I try something completely new?  I guess you'll have to come back tomorrow and find out ;)  

Oh and remember that crazy measuring spoon I talked about in a past post?  Well I used it tonight and I love it!  Check it out :)  

Until next time.........


Stay sweet,




Jennifer xoxoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment