Thursday, December 6, 2012

Happy (belated) Birthday to My Love

Hello Sweets,


I hope everyone is having a great week and hopefully it is flying by for you, because it is definitely flying for me lol I think it's because it is the Christmas season and there is just that much more to do!

In an attempt to finalize everything I need for the homemade Christmas gifts I am creating, we went to Michael's (craft store), and I was like a kid in a candy store.  Let me tell you I found everything I needed and more to make these gifts super adorable that I didn't even think of.  I cannot wait to show you guys the finished products once they are given out :)  Did you know that Michael's carries baking supplies?  I'm not talking about a few things, we're talking about 3 full aisles of a baking wonderland!  I got some more decorative accents for the Christmas cookies we will be making over the next couple weeks, and even a reindeer kit for our cookies.  Lets just say I'll probably do a few different Christmas cookie recipes so I can write multiple posts about my decorating adventures, and I'm not a pro yet but I am giving it more effort than ever!

So as you all know I missed Nathans birthday last week :( but I have been making it up to him since I got here, slowly but surely giving him little birthday surprises.  For example, the day I landed, Nathan and I swapped our birthday cards, and when I pick a card it has to represent our relationship, and then I always write a little something extra special in it.  Early next week he will get a small present (although I know it will get a great reaction from him), and today, well today I made him an old fashion chocolate cake with chocolate icing and blue sugar (his favorite).  He loves it when I bake for him to begin with, but chocolate cake is his favorite, and since we've been dating, I promised him I would always bake him a birthday cake.  I know I had tested out a new chocolate cake recipe last week, but I decided that I would try another one today so I had a fresh new recipe for tonight's post.  Get your aprons on, because we're headed to chocolate town!!

Old Fashion Chocolate Cake
Ingredients
3/4C butter, softened
1 2/3C brown sugar
3 eggs
1 Tsp vanilla
2C all-purpose flour
2/3C cocoa
1 1/4Tsp baking soda
1 Tsp salt
1/4Tsp baking powder
1 1/3C water

Directions:
1)  Preheat oven to 350F.  Grease and flour 13"x9"x2" cake pan (or 2 9" round pan).

2)  Beat butter, sugar, eggs, and vanilla on high for 3 minutes.

3)  Mix flour, cocoa, baking soda, salt , and baking powder; add alternately with water to butter mixture until smooth.


4)  Pour batter into pan.  Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.  Let cool for 10 minutes; remove from pan to wire rack.  Cool completely.
I used wax paper to ensure it would come out perfectly :)

Let's get to the yummy frosting while the cake is cooling.

Perfect Chocolate Icing
Ingredients
1/2C butter
2/3C cocoa
3C confectioners sugar
1/3C milk
1 Tsp vanilla

Directions:
1)  Melt butter, then alternately add confectioners (powdered) sugar and milk, beating on medium speed spreading consistency.  Add more milk, if needed.  Add vanilla, makes about 2 cups worth.
I'm sorry for not taking progress pictures :(

The cake turned out completely delicious, and Nathan is a very happy and satisfied man (goal achieved)!  Probably one of the best ways to end a delicious steak dinner, grilled by none other then the master himself, Nathan!

 Final product :)

What is your go to birthday cake flavor?  Do you prefer to bake for your loved ones, or do you have a special bakery that makes all of your treats?  Not many more things can top the feeling of baking something I know Nathan will love, and I know he'll tell you that he loves everything I make him.  I really do have the greatest boyfriend in the world!!  

Well now I have to find a few Christmas cookie recipes to start making over the next few days, maybe I will try and do one new recipe a day, or maybe every couple of days with a few random recipes in between.  If you have any suggestions or favorites I would love to hear from you, feel free to drop me a line anytime :)  Until next time.......

Stay sweet,



Jennifer xoxoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment