Sunday, January 19, 2014

I Feel Like Chicken Tonight, Chicken Tonight!!

Hello Sweets,

Well I am officially back on Canadian soil :(, which is precisely why I didn't have a post for y'all yesterday.  Since I got an extra night with Nathan we spent a lot of time talking and enjoying our final night together :)  When I finally made it back to my home I had to run to the grocery store, because let's face it a girls gotta eat ;)  Since I am finally back on a somewhat normal schedule, I figured I would share a yummy treat with my lovely readers.  I have to say it feels really good to be writing again, I guess every once in a while a writer has to take a step back to put things into perspective.

As I am writing this post, I realize I have just dated myself lol.  The title of this post is from a catchy little jingle from the 1990's, even though the brand (Chicken Tonight) is still around you don't ever see their commercials.  The inspiration for the title came to me literally while looking at the pictures for tonight's post, I love when things just fall into place with little to no effort :)  A few months back Nathan came up to visit me for a few days, and we planned to go visit my mom and her husband.  Since we had an early flight the next morning, a red eye what fun lol, they offered for us to sleep at their house.  This lovely act of kindness would easily shave an hour off our drive to the airport, and with a red eye an extra hour of sleep is soooo worth it.  My mom makes pretty amazing chicken wings, but I haven't had them since I was younger and that was when she used to fry them.  Now she bakes them in the oven, they're crispy and not overly greasy.  What more can you ask for in a chicken wing?

Mommas Chicken Wings
Ingredients
Chicken wings (as many as you need)
Butter (you have to use it sparingly), melted
Ketchup (I used both regular and spicy)
Hot sauce, I used two types to kick it up a notch (use the spice level you're comfortable with)
Flour
pinch of salt
dash of pepper
dash of seasoning salt
 

Directions:
1)  Preheat oven to 400F.  In a large Ziploc bag, add the dry ingredients.  Use enough flour to completely coat every chicken wing, I used more than necessary so I didn't have to re-adjust the spices.  Shake until wings are completely coated, shake off any excess before placing on baking sheet.
 

2)  Place chicken wings on a tinfoil lined (I forgot to do that and they stuck a bit) baking sheet, bake until crispy (oops forgot to write the time down :/ )
 

3)  While chicken is cooking, melt butter (not too much or the sauce will just slide off).  Add enough ketchup to thicken the sauce, then add your hot sauce.  Taste test the sauce as you go, making adjustments until you reach you desired flavor.
 
 

4)  Once the chicken wings are crispy, gently toss them in your sauce.  Serve immediately, you can even dress it up with carrots and celery.

 
These were so simple to make, and they tasted better than the ones you get at the bar!  Well at least that is what I took from Nathan gobbling them up lol.  I am actually excited to expand to new and different flavors, I am very partial to honey garlic or anything with a sweet heat kick to it.  The only way you get good at flavor combinations is by trail and error, so if at first you don't succeed.... well you know the rest.  Basically what I'm trying to say is just go for it, and follow your taste buds.

I should take a moment to thank my momma for not only sharing her recipe with me, but also for teaching me how to cook with my senses and not a recipe ;)  I know this post isn't a sweet treat, but you know me I like to mix it up.  However, tomorrow's post is going right back to the sweets so get ready for something delicious and holiday appropriate!  Yes I know the main holidays are over, but I'm back logged :p  So consider the next few posts like a time machine, "once this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're going to see some serious s%*t!".  If you like Marty McFly, you'll know what I'm talking about ;)  Until next time....

Stay sweet,


Jennifer xoxoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment