Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Another Leaf on the Family Tree

Hello Sweets,

Alright day two in a row of posts, hazaw!!  Lol I know it's not much of an achievement, but it's the first step in blogging recovery (okay so maybe that's not a real thing).  However, it does feel wonderful to be back in my creative flow :)

I was going to blog about some dishes that I made while down in Texas, but then I went and had dinner with my grandparents tonight.  Normally we just do a simple dinner, but every now and then my grandfather will make a dish from his home country of Malta.  I realized something about Maltese food, they keep everything simple.  Letting all the ingredients sing together and not over complicating the dish.  Just like the Pastizzi's we made last year, this is a dish my grandfather brought over and made some slight changes :)  After speaking with him over dinner I have decided that the next time I make this I will be making everything from scratch (I know, not really a surprise).

Baked Rice
Ingredients
1 jar of spaghetti sauce (we used Ragu)
2 1/2C uncooked rice
4 eggs
1 can of corned beef
 

Directions:
1)  Preheat oven to 350F.  Place corned beef and tomato sauce into a saucepan, bringing to a boil so the corned beef has fallen completely apart (it will look like spaghetti and ground beef).
 

2)  Place the rice into a casserole dish, pour the sauce over top and mix thoroughly.
 

3)  Beat eggs in a separate bowl, then pour over the rice mixture stirring to fully incorporate.
 

4)  Top with a cup to a cup and a half of water and stir, cover with a lid and place in the oven for 1 hour.
 

5)  At the fifty minute mark remove the lid and place a knife in the center to see how wet it is (much like a cake).  If the knife comes out mostly clean leave uncovered for a few minutes, if more wet leave uncovered for the full ten minutes.
 

6)  Remove from oven and allow to sit for five minutes before serving.
 

Now I will be the first to admit that corned beef doesn't look that good, but once it's cooked you don't even notice that it came out of a can lol.  It's a simple and tasty dish that I've enjoyed since I was a child, and I will definitely be making this for my children :)  Sometimes I'll eat a little bit of cheese and a slice of bread with it, but I never add any additional seasonings.  Now with that being said I plan on using ground beef instead of corned beef, and I will make my signature tomato sauce.  When I make the new revised batch I will be sharing it with all my lovely readers :)

Now as I finish this last paragraph I have a smile on my face, it feels so good to be back writing again!  I have some recipes stashed away from my trip in Texas, and I need to make a dessert for my dinner with my grandparents Friday so I don't think there will be any more shortages ;)  Until next time..................


Stay sweet,



Jennifer xoxoxoxoxo







No comments:

Post a Comment