Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Spicing Things Up In Your Life

Hello Sweets,

So now that everything is getting back to normal, it's time my blog got back to normal too!  I feel like it has been forever since I have given you guys a recipe, so today I'm giving you a great recipe :)

As you may or may not know, most of my family lives in the USA.  They're scattered all over the country in different states.  My auntie Peggy lives in California with my uncle Moise and cousins Gwenda, Genna, and Gilbert.  My uncle comes from Mexico, so when we went to visit them when I was younger they made all sorts of yummy Mexican food.  Now everything they made was delicious but there was one dish that my mom wanted the recipe to make at home and that was the enchiladas.  When my mom went to buy the items needed for the recipe, we ran into a bit of a snag since we lived in Canada, some of the produce had to be bought from a small bodega that we found in our city.  Once we had gathered everything we needed we spent the entire day making the dish, and trust me it is worth all the work it takes.  Now when I told Nathan and his dad that I planned on making enchiladas they didn't think it would be very spicy, but I warned them it would be and they'd be pleasantly surprised.  Now again I am going to give all of my lovely readers the same warning I gave them; it is very spicy.  If you don't like heat you should probably use a lot less Serrano peppers.  Let's get to the spicy treat shall we?

Auntie Peggy's Enchiladas
Ingredients
1 whole chicken
1 bottle of Mexican cream or heavy cream (not sour cream)
10-15 serrano peppers
20-30 tomatillos
corn tortillas (20 small or 10 large)
1 bag of  Monterrey cheese, shredded
seasoning salt
garlic, chopped
pepper
(Christmas blend Starbucks coffee not needed lol)

Directions:
1)  Wash the chicken and remove the gizzards (if you have a dog bake them in the oven for them!), season with seasoning salt, pepper, and salt.  Place in a large stock pot and fill with water, bring to a boil then simmer on medium-high for about 2 hours until the meat falls off the bone (or until the wing moves freely and there is not pink in the meat).  Set aside and allow to cool.
 

2)  While the chicken is cooking you can prepare the salsa; peel the tomatillos (husks) and wash them as they will be sticky and dirty.  Snap the stems off the Serrano and wash them, then place both into a large pot, fill with water, and boil.  Cook until the tomatillos become a light green.
 

3)  Place the tomatillos and serranos into a blender with the garlic, seasoning salt, and pepper.  Blend until the mixture is smooth, taste and add more seasoning if needed (it will be hot so be careful).

4)   Once the chicken is cooled de-bone and shred, place shredded chicken into a large bowl and add 1/4 of the salsa to it.  Toss the chicken so that the chicken is coated in the salsa.
 

5)  Now you will need to prep the tortillas.  Place a small amount of oil into a frying pan over medium heat.  Put a tortilla into the pan until lightly golden, flip and do the same to that side (15-25 seconds per side).
 

6)  Take the tortillas and spread salsa on them, once that is done add the cream to the salsa.
 

 7)  Grab a tortilla and put some chicken onto it, then roll closed and place them in a line in a baking dish.

8)  Once all rolled, spread cheese over top of the enchiladas.  Then pour the salsa (now with cream) over them.
 

9)  Bake at 350F until golden brown in spots.  Depending on your liking you can bake until parts become crispier.


Again, this dish is very hot spice wise, and I would tread with caution even if you enjoy hot food.  I know I don't provide measurements either but it is based solely on taste testing, so I encourage you to trust your taste buds.  Actually this recipe has spawned an idea for a new Canuckette original creation, salsa!!  I'm going to add some more ingredients and spices but the base is already there so I can only build on an already great thing :) 

 Now I am completely out of finished recipes, which means back to the kitchen drawing board for this girl.  I am baking tonight but some that I have already done (I've been craving more pecan shortbread), but I do have a couple ideas that I've been thinking about plus more fun kitchen gadgets so I am sure I'll have another good read for you :)  Until next time.........


Stay sweet,




Jennifer xoxoxo





No comments:

Post a Comment