Saturday, October 20, 2012

Canuckette's Pumpkin Cupcake Patch

Hello Sweets!

I hope you all had a fantastic Friday.  I know mine hasn't been the best health wise, but this is nothing new, so I trek through as always :)  Yesterday Nathan and I had a relaxing Texas day, that means we enjoyed each others company, the beautiful weather, finalized our Halloween costumes (yes I will be blogging about my favorite time of year ;)), and then I baked him some yummy pumpkin spice cupcakes.  I spoil this man so much, but it brings me the utmost joy to do so, my runner up would be my cutie nephew Miguel!
This brings a smile to my face, seeing my little burrito enjoying my treats!

Now I have only made this recipe once, and it turned out great, but this time I decided to test out different spices and the measurements.  For those of you whom don't know me, other than through my blog, this is the way I like to cook and bake.  It's actually the way I was raised.  Like my grandfather always said, "recipes are directions and guidelines only!", and I couldn't agree more (he is a wise man after all).  When I cook, I love to get my nose up really close and smell the aroma.  Of course, I will take a taste now and then (to make sure it's not poison lol), and I have even been known to literally get my hands it there too!  So when I decided to make these delicious cupcakes again, I decided to venture further with my spices than originally.  There are two recipes with this one, since you need special icing to go with pumpkin cupcakes ;), so hang on to your whisks we are heading to cupcake town!

Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes
Ingredients
2C flour
1tsp baking soda
1tsp baking powder
1tsp coarse salt
1tsp cinnamon
1tsp ginger
1/4tsp nutmeg
1/4tsp allspice (or cloves)
1C packed light brown sugar
1C white sugar
1C butter, melted and cooled
4 large eggs
1 can (15ounces) pumpkin puree
I used both pumpkin spice and cloves in addition to what's listed above

Directions:
1) Preheat oven to 350F.  Line cupcake pans and set aside.  In a medium bowl whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, clove, pumpkin spice and allspice, set aside.  The extra spices I added I eyeballed, approximately 1/4tsp each.
Am I weird because I love these types of photos??

2)  In a large bowl, whisk together: brown sugar, white sugar, butter, and eggs.
:( harder to keep liquids separate

3)  Add dry ingredients and whisk until smooth.  Whisk in pumpkin puree.
loving the fall color!

4)  Divide batter evenly among liners, filling each about 1/2 way (I only had a 12 and 6 muffin tins).  Makes 24 cupcakes.
waiting is the hardest part

5)  Bake until tops spring back when touched, and a toothpick comes out clean.  Takes about 20-25 minutes.  Rotate pan once if needed.  Transfer to wire rack; let cool completely.
your kitchen will smell divine mmmmm

Brown Sugar Cinnamon Icing
Ingredients
8oz cream cheese, room temp
1 stick of butter, room temp (1/2C)
1/4C brown sugar
1tsp vanilla
1/2tsp cinnamon
4-6C icing sugar
I also added pumpkin spice, allspice and food coloring to make it more festive

Directions:
1)  With an electric mixer, mix cream butter and cream cheese until light and fluffy.

2)  Beat in brown sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, allspice and pumpkin spice until fully incorporated.

3)  Gradually add icing sugar(powdered sugar) in small portions, (I only used about 2 1/2 - 3C), scraping down the sides with each addition until desired consistency is reached.  When you think it's ready, slowly add the food coloring until you reach your desired color :)
Tada!

There will be plenty of icing for 24 cupcakes and plenty left over.  Since I was going with a pumpkin patch theme, I decided to top the cupcakes with green decorative sugar to imitate the stems lol.  The last time I topped them with graham crumble in an ode to pumpkin pie.  Go with whatever inspires you ;)  The addition of the extra spices gave the recipe a more robust flavor, in other words......delish!!!
My little pumpkin "cupcake" patch

I hope you all enjoy this recipe as much as my family, friends, and myself do!  Let me know what inspires you in this recipe, I always love to experiment with an already great recipe!  Until next time.

Stay sweet,



Jennifer xoxoxo




No comments:

Post a Comment