Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Journey into the unknown....Kale!

Hello Sweets,


Well I'm settled in Texas now which means Nathan and I did our first trip to the grocery store (I love having fruit to snack on).  Nathan always makes me smile and giggle a little in the produce section because he claims that I "pick the best cantaloupe and honey dew".  I'm always a little modest when he says this, because I always feel that when picking a melon it can be a little like Russian roulette.  Now I have my little tricks of course; knocking and listening to the sound, smell, and of course the general look always plays into it as well.  Well tonight was no different, a melon success lol!  As soon as we get home, I immediately start cutting up both the cantaloupe and the honey dew so the household can snack at will, yet another reason why Nathan loves when we buy them :)
Melon prepped and ready to eat

While in Tom Thumb, a light went off in my head.  My girly Sarah (www.mymostlyhealthylife.com), had tried Kale chips, and I thought since I like salty potato chips, this would be a great healthy substitute.  So I went online to search out some general guidelines.  I came across the website www.keeperofthehome.org, and got myself familiar with the basic premise.  Knowledge in hand, I forged forward on the kale chip journey, and since it was a success, I am passing my adapted recipe on to you!

Kale Chips (guided by www.keeperofthehome.org)
Ingredients:
1-2 bunches of kale
extra virgin olive oil
sea salt
chopped dry onions
cayenne pepper
garlic powder
red pepper flakes

Directions:
1)  Wash the kale and dry it, a salad spinner works great if you have one but I just patted mine with paper towel. 
 Looks like garnish leaf but smells like broccoli, weird lol

2)  Pull or cut the leaves off of the stalks.  Cut into chip sizes and place in a large bowl.
the darker green the veggie the healthier it is!

3)  Get your oil and all the spices together, and either shake or pour in the bowl and mix well with your hands.  Depending on your pallet, you can use more, or less spices, and even different ones if you're feeling adventurous.

4)  Place on a baking sheet and place in the oven at 350F for 15-25 minutes.
All spiced up and ready to go :p

5)  Shake the baking sheet while in the oven, and if the kale is crisp place in a bowl and enjoy!
Final product, YUM!

Now I was a little weary as this was my first time making it, and being in the great state of Texas (land of meat), I was nervous to say the least!  When the timer went off, I pulled them out of the oven, they smelled great but looked.....lets say interesting lol.  I tried one before venturing out of the kitchen with them and, surprise surprise they satisfied that salty chip craving.  So I bravely brought them out to the living room for Nathan, and his brother Mark to try (the real test).  Even my meat loving Texan, and Mark enjoyed them!  Now if that isn't a milestone to be proud of, then I don't know what is, and Nathan even ate them steadily and not to appease me :)  Now his dad, who always says to me, "why don't you make anything healthy?  Always with the sweets canuckette" (yes Nathan's dad calls me that regularly), did not like them, and not because they tasted bad, but because he said they wadded up in your mouth.  Lol.  Now Nathan and I didn't experience this problem, I just think his father couldn't get past the look of the kale chips.

Have any of you tried making kale chips?  Maybe with different spices/seasonings?  Or even some other delicious kale recipes?  Send me your comments of what you've done, and if you try the recipe let me know how it turns out :)  Until next time.

Stay sweet,


Jennifer xoxoxo


1 comment:

  1. I've heard of people using parmasean cheese on it!

    ReplyDelete