Sunday, February 16, 2014

The Pumpkin Shortbread Baby

Hello Sweets,

I have had a terrible weekend :(  As if it wasn't bad enough that I felt sick, but Nathan sent me a beautiful bouquet of flowers for valentines day.  No that is not the bad part, the bad part is Canpar gave a fake phone number to call the driver to ensure I get them in time O_o  Yup, a fake number!!!!!  It's a holiday Monday here in Canadia and they don't deliver on weekends, so my beautiful flowers will sit in a cold warehouse for five days.  It's hard enough to be in a long distance relationship on valentines day, but finding out that he sent me a stand in gift until we're together to celebrate and the company screwed it all up is heartbreaking.  I'll be sure to share with y'all what the bouquet looks like when it finally gets to me, at least I know the card and vase will still be intact.  I'm very fortunate that I have a thoughtful boyfriend, it just makes things harder when we're in different countries.  Well it could always be worse, he could be in Japan lol.

Since valentines day was on Friday, I did make a sweet treat but I won't be sharing that will y'all today lol.  I know I'm cruel, but I had one more recipe to get caught up so I decided to write about this one instead.  Lately I've been making a lot of pumpkin themed food, but that's only because the can is big and there are always leftovers.  When I found a recipe that included my favorite cookie, shortbread, I didn't have to look any further for what to do with the leftovers.

Pumpkin Shortbread
Ingredients
cookie
1 1/4C flour
1/2C cornstarch
1 1/2tsp pumpkin spice (I made my own as usual ;) cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, ginger)
1/2tsp salt
3/4C butter, room temperature
3/4C powdered sugar
glaze (I opted not to use this)
2C powdered sugar
2-3Tbs milk
 

Directions:
1)  Preheat oven to 350F.  Spray 9" tart pan with nonstick cooking spray.
2)  In a bowl; whisk together flour, pumpkin spice, cornstarch, and salt.  Set aside.
 

3)  With a mixer beat the butter and powdered sugar until smooth.
 

4)  Add in pumpkin and beat until combined.
 

5)  Turn mixer to low and add in dry ingredients until just incorporated.
 

6)  Spread dough into the prepared pan, smoothing with a rubber spatula.  Bake 60-70 minutes until formed and golden brown.
 

7)  Cool in pan for 5-10 minutes, then transfer to wire rack.
 
 

8)  Mix up glaze in a bowl, stirring until there are no more lumps.  Pour on top of shortbread.  Let glaze set, slice and serve immediately.
so yummy!
 The pumpkin flavor is so very subtle and not over powering, anyone that is unsure of pumpkin will warm up to this little cookie.  My grandparents thoroughly enjoyed it, and that makes me very happy.  Since I didn't use the glaze, it's best eaten with a glass of milk because shortbread isn't a very moist type of cookie.  This is definitely a keeper for me, I love shortbread so when I find a variation of the treat, I'm sold.

So I finally finished Nathans valentine gift, but cannot share it with y'all until after I see him because as you know he is the editor of my little baby.  I want to share it with y'all so bad, but I can't so I won't lol.  All I'll say is, I think it's the perfect gift to give someone who is in a long distance relationship.  I've also have the itch to start a new painting, I do have a painting currently in progress but I really have an idea I need to get on canvas.  First I'm going to make myself some dinner, and the perfect dinner is......breakfast!!  Yup, I'm really looking forward to it lol.  Until next time....


Stay sweet,



Jennifer xoxoxo




No comments:

Post a Comment