Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Lookin' Like A Certified Texan

Hello Sweets,

Well the week has begun. Have you been productive so far?  I've been sort of productive lol, I've had some bad migraines so I have been doing small projects and no writing :(  But I was feeling the itch to do a post so I'm giving it the old college try :)  I must say that I am very much enjoying being beside Nathan again.  Until you're in a long distant relationship you never appreciate the little things like holding hands or cuddling.  So if my posts are a little sporadic I apologize, but it probably means I'm enjoying my time with my soul mate ;)

So as I mentioned previously I tried something completely new in regards to my kitchen adventures.  I was actually intrigued because of an article I had read (again I don't remember where from lol).  Now I looked at tons of different recipes to determine what spices I wanted to include, but ended up using my favorite tool; my nose :) to really determine what needed to be added.  So are you sitting there wondering what I decided to try?  Well I said it is part of both the most important and delicious meal of the day, which means breakfast, and there are only specific things we can make.  I decided to tackle something that not everyone loves, but those who do have probably had a bunch of different ways, good ol' sausage!  That's right, Canuckette tackled breakfast sausage all on her own and succeeded!  Since I was creating these delicious patties I finally got to use another of my many kitchen gadgets that I was given at Christmas time.  Check out my Westin Patty Press, it made my sausage patties look very professional not to mention I can control the thickness of the patties.
 
pretty cool huh?

Now I'm going to share with you what I've created and will also give you other spices you can add depending on what flavor you are looking to create.

Texan Breakfast Sausage
Ingredients
2lbs ground pork
2Tsp marjoram
1 1/2Tbs sage
2Tsp red pepper flakes
2Tsp thyme
1/2tsp cayenne pepper
1/2Tsp salt
1/2Tsp black pepper
1/2Tsp cloves
1/2Tsp garlic powder
5Tbs maple syrup

Directions:
1)  Mix all ingredients in a bowl, put in the spices in small amounts so you can balance the flavors.  When you think you've reached your desired flavor, do at test patty so you know whether or not to adjusts the spices.
 

2)  Form into patties and fry for six minutes on each side, careful not to under cook for the obvious reasons or overcook as it will make them dry.  They can keep in the refrigerator for up to one week, or you can freeze them for later use :)
I paired them with my homemade biscuits and some home fries

Here are some of the other spices you can use in your breakfast sausage such as; nutmeg, rosemary, basil, fennel seed, ginger, cinnamon, allspice, mustard, cardamon, or caraway.

I encourage you to really use your sense when creating your sausage because even with just a sense of smell you can get a very good idea of what the flavor will be.  I hope you all have as much fun creating this sausage (although I could go without touching the ground pork) as I did, and that you get that flavor you're looking for.  Until next time...................................................


Stay sweet,



Jennifer xoxoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment