Monday, April 29, 2013

Strawberry Fields

Hello Sweets,

Spring is finally here, to anyone other than a Canadian you've probably already been experiencing warmer weather but we just got ours.  I love spring time (but not as much as summer), the smell of rain and fresh cut grass to fresh fruit and veggie stands from local farmers.  Although nothing is better than going berry picking, and here in south western Ontario we have some wonderful berry farms!  I know it's a little early in the season to be picking (actually WAY too early), but I couldn't help but start dreaming about all the wonderful treats that can be made with farm fresh produce :)

My roommate bought too many strawberries and told me to help myself to them, and you know what happens when I've been day dreaming of creative treats and a present like that is drop on me?  You guessed it, I wanted to bake with them!  I recently came across this really cook foodie website where they share all sorts of recipes and tips called Mr.Food.  So I started looking at the different strawberry recipes and came across one that I thought sounded pretty interesting.  I add a few extra ingredients of course, but they were my inspiration!

Fast Strawberry Cobbler
Ingredients
1/2C butter, melted
1C self rising flour
1/2C white sugar, divided
1/4C brown sugar, divided
3/4C milk
2C fresh strawberries, quartered
1/2C water
1Tsp cinnamon

as you can see the additional ingredients were an in progress thought :)

Directions:
1)  Preheat oven to 350F.  Pour melted butter into a 1 1/2 quart glass baking dish.

2)  In a large bowl, combine flour, 1/4C sugar (half of each), and milk pouring evenly over the butter.

3)  In a separate bowl combine strawberries, remaining sugar, and water; spoon evenly over the flour/milk layer.  DO NOT STIR.


4)  Bake for 45-55 minutes, or until golden.  Serve warm or cold.
*side note*  I ended up with more liquid than I would have liked once it was done baking.  I simply drained it off and simmered in on the stove top to make a simple syrup to go with the dessert, it turned out perfectly!


I think the next time I make this I will try a different berry and possibly use brown sugar only, but who knows what else I'll have dreamed up by then right?  Either way remember to have fun, and if something has gone not according to plan think of a way to make it work for you instead of against you.

So I have now began the cookie research phase and I think I'll be trying a batch tomorrow of one of the first three cookie, after all I need the first three chosen before creating the third!  So be prepared for cookies, cookies, and more cookies!  I am both looking forward to and dreading this all at the same time, since I like things like this to be perfect it will take some time.  I know this has been a fairly short post but I started with a mild migraine and now it is full force, so it is time for this girl to relax.  Until next time............................


Stay sweet,



Jennifer xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment